Naturally whiten teeth in just 5 minutes?…. YES PLEASE!!
I have been noticing lately that my teeth aren’t quite as white as they used to be. I am 30 years old now and years of drinking soda have definitely affected the color of my teeth. I really want a whiter smile, but spending hundreds of dollars for whitening trays from the dentist is not an option for me at this point.
So, I started researching natural ways to whiten teeth. I kept coming across pictures of people on Pinterest who had whitened their teeth using activated charcoal. I am definitely up for trying natural remedies as opposed to putting harsh chemicals into my mouth.
WHAT IS ACTIVATED CHARCOAL?
Activated Charcoal is an odorless and tasteless black powder that is made from wood or other materials that have been exposed to very high temperatures. It is most commonly used in hospitals to treat poisonings. It does so by absorbing toxins as well as harmful drugs from the stomach and intestines. It can also be used to treat intestinal gas.
USING ACTIVATED CHARCOAL ON YOUR TEETH
The absorbent qualities of activated charcoal help it to bind and remove the stains and bacteria from your teeth.
TIME TO GIVE IT A TRY
- Wet your toothbrush. (I bought a new toothbrush for this experiment because the charcoal does stain the bristles.)
- Place a small amount of toothpaste onto the toothbrush. (this is so that the charcoal has something to stick to)
- Carefully open your charcoal capsules and apply the powder to your toothbrush. (I used 2 capsules)
- Begin brushing. The mixture will be a little powdery when you first start, but once your saliva mixes in, it will become a liquid. Brush thoroughly for five minutes. Make sure to brush both the front and back sides of your teeth to get the best results.
- Spit periodically into a cup instead of your sink for easier cleanup.
- Rinse your mouth well. You might even want to do a quick brushing with toothpaste only, to remove any excess charcoal.
- Pour your spit cup into the toilet and flush.
- You can wipe any traces of charcoal from your sink with a sanitizing wipe or baby wipe.
- CHECK OUT YOUR RESULTS!
I noticed my teeth were definitely 1-2 shades whiter after just one 5 minute brushing.
How Often Can I Use this Teeth Whitening Method?
For best results, it is recommended that you use this method for 3-5 consecutive days. Then wait 3 months in between uses.
Other Natural Teeth Whitening Methods:
- Banana Peels – Instructions say to rub the inside of the banana peel on your teeth for a few minutes and then rinse. There are mixed reviews on using banana peels to whiten teeth.
- Strawberries – Mash ripe strawberries into a paste and brush your teeth with them. The strawberries are supposed to help remove surface stains. The vitamin C in the strawberries helps to clear away plaque. Strawberries are acidic, so make sure to rinse your teeth well after trying this method.
- Unrefined coconut oil – Brushing with a small amount of coconut oil with promote a healthy mouth and whiter teeth. I have read that coconut oil also helps with getting rid of cavities. (I will be trying this)
I hope this article has helped you. Please let us know if you try any of these methods, and if you had success.