After trying the homemade Twix Bar Recipe pin and it being a HUGE success, I was on the search for our next homemade candy bar pin. I didn’t have to search Pinterest very long when I saw a pin for “just like” Payday bars by bakeorbreak.com that I knew we had to try.
- 3 cups salted peanuts (no skins), divided
- 2 & 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups peanut butter chips
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- kosher salt or sea salt, optional
- Place 1 & 1/2 cups peanuts in the bottom of an ungreased 11″x 7″ pan. (We used a 9X13 pan, and it worked fine)
- Melt butter and peanut butter chips in a large saucepan over low heat. Stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat. Stir in condensed milk and marshmallows. Continue stirring until smooth and well-blended. (NOTE: This is the part where we had a little trouble, It says remove from heat but when we did the Marshmallows didn’t melt. We put out mixture back on low heat until everything was melted and smoothed together.)
- Pour peanut butter mixture over peanuts in pan. Sprinkle remaining 1 & 1/2 cups peanuts over top of peanut butter mixture. If saltier bars are desired, sprinkle lightly with salt. (We didn’t use that many nuts on the top, there is no need unless you LOVE peanuts)
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Then, cut into bars. Bars can be served chilled or at room temperature.
The Verdict on the Homemade Payday Bars:
The pin claimed that these bars tasted “just like” Payday candy bars. Although they were tasty, and they had a similar taste to a Payday, they lacked the “just like” that I was hoping for. Also the recipe was a little vague about whether you should put your mixture back on the stove after you add your condensed milk and marshmallows (cause the marshmallows didn’t melt?) Because you could not follow the directions as they were and because they didn’t taste “just like” a payday, it is a Pin Fail. Also at a cost of around $11 to make, I would rather just go buy a Payday, or ten!