I have to say, one of my favorite sweet treats is caramel. When I saw the recipe on Pinterest for an easy way to make caramel in your crock pot I was overjoyed. I have always wanted to make caramel, but just the thought of it scared me! I was always afraid that I would burn it and all of my hard caramel making work would be literally down the drain. So, you can understand my excitement with this new almost “no fail” way to make caramel in my crock pot!
What you need for Caramel in your Crock Pot:
- A Crock Pot
- One UNOPENED can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
How to do it:
- Tear the paper off of your can of Sweetened Condensed milk.
- Place the can into your crock pot (UNOPENED)
- Put water into your crock pot until your can is completely covered with water.
- Put the lid on the crock pot, and cook for 8 hours on LOW.
- Remove your can from the crock pot and Refrigerate it for no less than 2 hours. (The refrigeration is the key to perfect caramel or dulce de leche.)
I couldn’t hardly wait to taste my crock pot caramel. Opening the can after refrigerating it was like opening a Christmas present… I wasn’t sure what I would find, but when I finally got it open I was ecstatic. It was CARAMEL!!!!!! My only problem was that I didn’t think this through…I didn’t have anything to dip in it! OHHHH NO! This problem was quickly solved with a SPOON!! Ahhh that’s better! My spoon has saved the day. With the first taste I knew of at least 10 things that I could dip in my crock pot caramel, or that I could pour it over! YUMMY! This was caramel had a very creamy taste, and was really good when I dipped apples in it!
Word of WARNING:
As you can see there is one draw back to this caramel recipe. The Dreaded RUST RING!!!!! UGG I was not upset about the rust ring in this crock pot. It was a cheap one that I got on sale on Black Friday last year for $3.99! However, I would have been very upset if it was in my larger and much more expensive crock pot. You have been warned!
Thanks Perfect Imperfection!