- 12 Regular Tea Bags
- 4 Cups of BOILING water
- 12 Cups of cool water (tap water)
- 1 and 1/2 to 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking soda (the secret ingredient)
(Yields one Gallon of Tea)
Best Sweet Tea Directions:
- Sprinkle baking soda into your 1 gallon sized pitcher and add your teabags to the bottom also. (make sure if you use tea bags with the little papers on them that you remove them…don’t ask )
- Pour your 4 cups of BOILING water in your pitcher (on top of the tea bags and baking soda) and Let steep for 15 minutes.
- Remove and toss used tea bags then add your sugar, stirring until it is dissolved completely.
- Add your 12 cups cool water, and refrigerate until cold.
- Serve and Enjoy
What we did:
This is not the typical way I make tea, so I wanted to make sure this was an accurate test to see if tea was truly better with the “secret ingredient”. I made one batch of tea with and one without baking soda. To make sure I got true results I decided to use my darling Husband as a guinea pig. (He was overwhelmed with joy…not!) We did a “blind” taste test (ha ha I made him do it 3 times…I wanted to make sure!) Low and behold he chose the “Secret Ingredient” tea every time.
I can’t really explain why the tea tasted better, it just did. It had more of a “Tea” flavor without the bitter after-taste. The reason it tastes better is because the baking soda takes some of the acidity out of the tea. (It neutralizes the tannins removing any bitterness) All I know is that I will not go back to fixing tea the way I used to!
Thanks for the recipe Craving Comfort!